The Baker-Polito Administration has launched a “HireNow” Grant Program, which offers Employers a grant of up to $4,000 per new hire from 3/23/22 – 12/31/22, with a cap of 100 new employees/ $400,000. Grant recipients are to use funds in whatever manner is most helpful in attracting and/or training new hires (see options listed below). Funds will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
The purpose of the grant is to help with hiring challenges experienced by Massachusetts employers because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Employers are encouraged to rethink hiring methods, minimum qualifications, and onboarding processes to consider candidates with qualifications that may vary from traditional standards to help resolve staffing level constraints due to a tight labor market.
1. Eligible Employers: Include any for-profit or non-profit MA Employer in good standing with the DOR & DUA.
2. Eligible Hires:
- Start date between 3/23/22 – 12/31/22
- Must work at least 30 hours per week
- Salary limitation of $85,000 annually
- Must be retained for a minimum of 60 days
- Must live & work in MA
3. Application Process: https://commcorp.org/hirenow/
- Employers must pre-register online, then following the new hire’s 60-day retention period they are to submit the final application for funding. Click here for a diagram that outlines this process.
4. How funds may be used:
- To subsidize additional time spent shadowing staff or on extended on-the-job training
- To hire an external training provider to provide technical skills training
- To incentivize hiring, allowing an employer to offer a sign-on bonus to job candidates if they accept an offer and remain employed for 60 days
- To give the new hire a retention bonus following a certain number of days at the organization
- To offer tuition reimbursement benefits.
Please reach out to a member of your client service team with any questions.